Individual Well Water Grants
More than 11% of Irish households still use private wells for their home water supply. Unlike public water supplies, these private wells do not get checked by water testing authorities which questions the quality of water in your private well.
If you do not have access to public water or group water scheme, the Well Grant Scheme is just for you. Grants are available under the Rural Water Programme for the carrying out of improvement works to a private water supply (this means a water supply providing water intended for human consumption and domestic purposes that serves only one house).
The objective of the scheme is to provide assistance to households who are dependent on private individual well supplies and incurring capital expenditure.
New Grant Categories
- Provision of a new well – Grant aid of 85% of the costs, subject to a maximum of €5,000
- Rehabilitation works – Grant aid of 85% of the costs, subject to a maximum of €3,000
- Water Treatment (UV, Filtration) – Grant of 100% of the costs, subject to a maximum of €1,000
What Kind of Work Qualifies for Well Grant?
- Drilling of a new well
- Provision of essential pumping
- Water filtration/disinfection equipment (excluding water softeners)
- Rehabilitating an existing well, including deepening or relining an existing bore or the removal of silt
- Providing or upgrading a supply of water from a surface water source
- Provision or improvement of mechanical or electrical equipment or facilities in connection with the supply of water
Are you eligible?
- You are not connected to a public water supply or cannot be reasonably served by a public or group water supply scheme source.
- The house is not located in an area that is or is about to be, served by Irish Water or a Group Water Scheme.
- Your house must be over 7 years old.
- You have not received a grant within the last 7 years.
- The cost of the approved works must be over €750
How to Apply?
An application for a well grant under this scheme must be made to a local authority on Form PWS 1a which can be downloaded from the respective county councils’ website.
A detailed water test needs to be taken before and after any work is completed to ensure the proper water treatment system is installed. A prior inspection of the work needs to be carried out as well as the issuing of a certificate of approval before any work can commence.
No matter what county you’re based in, getting a water grant can be a tricky and often lengthy process. To prevent you from the hassle, our experts will walk you through the entire process, provide you with a quotation and streamline everything for you.
Celtic Water Solutions is a specialist in well water treatment. Over the years, we have helped homeowners to improve their well water quality while successfully availing of local authority well grants. We can carry out detailed water tests and provide assistance in filling out the well grant application forms, and go through each step to ensure the householder understands the process.
If you are looking to improve the water quality from your well, fill out this short form and one of our water treatment experts will be in touch with you to discuss your project. We can also supply all the information you need (including forms) for a successful application.